Sunday, December 18, 2011

In Memoriam

Veronica Glenn 1924-2011 
My husband's beloved mother died November 29th in Brooklyn, New York.  She supported her 7 children by herself working as a domestic.  She loved her children, her mother, her sisters and brothers and she was beloved by all her neighbors in her native Guyana village.  She came to the United States in the early 80's and became a citizen.  She loved to cook and bake.  She loved to sew.  She delighted in watching her grandchildren be born and grow.  She is deeply mourned by my husband who inherited his mother's face and his father's height. 

I am so sad that I did not get to meet you Mother Glenn.  I wanted to thank you for the wonderful man that you raised who became my husband.  I will miss you too.


So this week before Christmas I think it is appropriate to honor my beloved family members who are now in Heaven and who I miss each and every day.  They all live with me with each beat of my heart.
Emma Gertrude Connolley Russell, 1912-1996 
Edwin Fredrick Russell 1912-1988
My wonderful Grandparents, they always put family first and always made sure we had food, clothing and a roof over our heads.  I miss both of you more then you can know.

William Harrison Roberts, 1903-1999
Mildred Timmerwilke Roberts, 1903-1991
(My mother in the middle is still alive and well) 
I wish we had lived closer to my paternal Grandparents so they would not have been so isolated and they would have gotten to know us better.  I am very much like my Grandmother with her love of needle crafts and cooking and baking.  Grandpa was an amazing man, being able to fix anything.  He had spunk and fortitude as witnessed by re-roofing his home by himself when he was 83 and digging up the front yard (much to his neighbors chagrin) to fix the septic tank when he was 81.
Richard Calvin Roberts, December 10, 1934-April 27, 1987
In spite of all of the difficulties you presented to me growing up as your daughter, I love you and miss you with all my heart.  You were a proud member of the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard which instilled great patriotism in me.  I have your wicked sense of humor and I also have your inability to hold onto a dollar bill.  You were sure a character and you left this earth far too soon.

My dear readers, we here at the Lilac Thicket have been in a state of mourning the loss of my mother in law, the Professor's mother.  A week after that my youngest brother had a heart attack.  He is home and doing great. So it goes without saying life here in the folds of our secluded thicket have been a bit on the stressful side.  Please forgive me.  God Bless Us Everyone.


1 comment:

Miss LindaLee said...

Glad to see you back here Sandi, and I just wanted to say that you and your family are in my prayers through this Christmas season. I am so sorry for your loss.