Monday, September 26, 2011

The best laid plans...

Seldom do my weekends off go as I plan.  I am certain that I am the only one in the whole world that this happens to, I honestly believe that.  Saturday started out well with a trip to the grocery store and a trip to the Thrift Store.  On our way home from church we stopped at Mom's to look at my grandmother's dresser to see if I wanted it. 

The Professor felt he should help Brothers 1 & 2 clean out Mom's garage and basement.  Mom had rented a big dumpster and there was lots of stuff to go thru.  I took Professor home to change out of his good clothes and dumped him back off at Mom's and went home and waited for him to call me to pick him up.  I wasn't feeling really well so I laid down and read.  I got up at 4:30 and began making spaghetti and garlic toast which Professor said he wanted.  Well I picked up my husband about 6:30 and I really didn't get any thing done.

Sunday I had a roaring headache and got up and took a Benadryl and some Advil and went back to bed. Professor woke me up when Brother 2 came to pick him up about 11am. I went back to bed and got up about 3:30 and got dressed and then went over to Mom's and sat for a couple of hours watching all of the hubbub. We looked at pictures of my dad:

This was my Pop in 1952 at the ripe old age of 18.  He was in the Navy!  So handsome, such a rake, the apple of his Momma's eye!  He was on the USS Des Moines, a terrifically fearsome looking battleship!  Think about 1952 and the powerful military presence our Armed Forces was, just 7 years after the end of the 2nd World War.  It held quite the allure to young men and young women and Pops was one of them.

2 weeks ago I saw these light pink sandals at the Thrift Shop but didn't have the money to purchase them.  I couldn't believe they were still there.  $2.00!  They either have never been worn or worn little as there was NO wear on them.  They now delight my feet! 
These are the second pair of sandals I wanted and they were still at the Thift Shop amazingly enough.  $2.00 and like the pink pair little to no wear! 
A crocheted baby blanket, $1.00!  I am going to wash it up and then will have a nice little throw to cover my feet and legs when I sit on the sofa reading.
I saw these nice autumn colored cloth place mats.  Four of them were $2.00!  I am going to wash them up too. 
One lonely skein of yarn, love the color and I am sure I can find something delightful to make up with this one ball of yarn.  You can see the price. 
These were cute little Christmas salad plates and there were 3 of them, 50¢ each and I thought they would make good little gifts with homemade fudge or Russian teacakes on them. 
These are a few things that came home with the Professor and I from my Mother's house.  A pretty mirror that sat on my Grandma Russell's dresser for years.  It now is on my sofa table under my Lenox vase of flowers and the pretty frame with a wedding picture of the Caribbean Prince and I.  The ceramic candle sticks were also my Grandma Russell's.  The little bible was presented to my Grandmother Roberts from her Elementary School, don't see that happening today do ya?  The heart pin was also Grandmother Roberts too! 
Here is a chicken scratched apron my Grandmother Roberts made.  I want to wash this up and then find a way to present it...any ideas? 
Still packaged like the day she received them in 1970 when we mailed them to Grandmother Roberts when we moved to Hawaii, an apron and a oven mitt, she never used them.  I would love to open them and use them, do you think I should?  The crocheted ears of corn, Grandmother Roberts made them and had them hanging above her stove.  I think they are darling! 
And this is the only thing that I wanted of my Grandmother Roberts.  It is a  cast iron, iron.  When I was a toddler and we went to visit my Grandparents, my Grandmother set me on the floor with newspapers and this iron.  Mom says it was very amusing to watch me try to iron the papers with an iron that weighted almost as much as I did.  I think this may have been my Great Grandmother Stovall-Timmerwilke's.  It would be interesting to see if anyone can give me an idea of when this style of iron was used.

I need to get decent because I need to take the Professor to work.  I am enjoying my treasures that I shared with all of you.  I am awaiting the delivery of my Grandmother Roberts's cedar chest and dresser.  I think I will get those next weekend.  Have a blessed week my beloved readers!

1 comment:

Emily in NC said...

Nice thrift finds and isn't it great finding things from grandparents and even parents, have many items from my grandparents and they are so precious.